Saturday, September 24, 2011

Music

I was watching RENT the other day, actually Ive been watching it several times this week, Be it in Movie format or the stage format on DVD, but thats a whole nother matter.
I was struck by the story of RENT's creator Jonathon Larson. The man poured everything he had into the production, and Im talking hours upon hours, days upon days, years upon years of solid and hard work.
During his composing he also worked in New York as a waiter to pay the bills and spent every off night writing this magnificent play. This story touches so many peoples lives because they can relate. He hit the hard issues such as Homelessness, death, poverty, AIDS, and Homosexuality. He touched on the heart of the matter which is people, and he set it to music.
Now I know some people will hear this, or see the movie or play and say its not for them, but, even they can admit something was struck inside them by the play.

The reason that RENT strikes such a chord with me has to do with Mr. Larson himself, The night before the play was set to debut...He died. Never seeing how huge the play would become, or how his work paid off, his life was over.

Life is short, but the main lesson I walked away with was this:
How much or how passionate are we about what we love? Are we really willing to give it all so that someone will find joy and peace and something that makes them, them?
How did Jonathon Larson really impact people through this project?
Am I willing to do the same?

Music, it resonates within me, its my life, I live for it, and it appears so did Jonathon Larson.
R.I.P Jonathon Larson 1960-1996

No comments: